The Paris Skyline
From the first Australian Western Front action at Fromelles in July 1916 (left - Le Trou Aid Post Military Cemetery) to the Hindenberg Line actions in October 1918, you can follow them all on our suggested 3-day (2 nights) itinerary.
We can include - or give prime focus to - New Zealand’s story from the Somme in September 1916 to the storming of the walls in Le Quesnoy in November 1918.
Naturally we can put together a family-specific tour, and tours of different durations. Only got a day? We offer a Day Trip from Amiens or Lille.
START/END LILLE (1hr 25mins train from London; Paris 1 hr)
Meet at a Lille hotel or at the station: 1 hr 25 from London St Pancras; 1 hour from Paris by train. 45 min drive to Ypres: tour taking in the Messines Ridge (June 1917), Caterpillar/Hill 60 (site of Australian mining operations), Menin Road & Polygon Wood (September 1917; 5th Australian Division memorial), and Passchendaele - then into Ypres itself for night in hotel, with attendance at the 8 p.m. Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate memorial to the Missing.
Travel 45 minutes south to Fromelles (July 1916 - the first Australian battle on the Western Front; 1 hour here) a further 45 minutes to Bullecourt (April/May 1917 battle: 1 hour here), then on [via snack lunch stop] a final 50 minutes to Villers-Bretonneux: Adelaide Cemetery (from which the Unknown Soldier was taken to Canberra in 1993), the Australian Memorial (with the list of all the Australian missing in France), and the Franco-Australian Museum. 30 minutes drive to Amiens for the night.
Day tour taking in Pozieres village (July/August 1916: Gibraltar and Windmill memorial sites) and Mouquet Farm, scenes of the principal Australian fighting in 1916. We will also visit Flers/Guedecourt (New Zealand and Australian fighting in September & October 1916), the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing, and preserved trenches at Beaumont Hamel. Leave mid-afternoon, for a 45 minute drive back to Lille to finish.
This tour could be adapted to start/finish at a Paris hotel if the tour involves a minibus - it is an approximately 3 hr drive to the first & 2 hour drive back from the last sites.
The Windmill site at Pozieres
The Digger statue at Bullecourt
* We organise tours DIRECT with you – we have no public list of tours.
* We handle numbers from 2 to 10 – families, small groups of friends.
* We arrange itineraries, book hotels and site entries, can advise on transport (eg help find you a minibus company, if your group is larger than 4 people), and provide personal guiding.
* We step onboard your car / rental car *, or a minibus that we can arrange but you pay for direct (we had to stop making the payments for minibuses since the Package Travel Regulations 2018 increased the risk carried by the tour operator in situations such as the Covid 19 shutdown: client gets 100% refund, whilst the tour operator has to cover all the pre-paid up-front costs). Note that we do not organise travel to/from the tour start/finish point(s) - eg flights, trains.
* (happy to drive if you can add us as an Additional Driver)
All text, maps & photos © Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd.
Website design by Joseph Thomson
Last updated July 2021
Bethany, 37 The Crescent
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7AW
Dr Thomson’s Tours