The Paris Skyline
Your chance to see the fascinating mix of Habsburg, Baroque, and Cold War history that Vienna has to offer.
Walk the streets of the Old Town - sampling the famous cafés - and hear the story of the Habsburgs and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Explore the rich Art Nouveau heritage. Take in top-grade museums, and head out to the suburbs for the Schönbrunn Palace, and to the north the Danube itself.
Here is an idea of a 3-day itinerary - do get in touch to discuss a tailor-made itinerary for your group:
A city walk starting with the Karlsplatz, home to the Secession Building from the Art Nouveau era and the impressive 17th century Baroque Karlskirche. By tram to the Opera House area - coffee in the Palmhouse of the Hofburg Palace.
A walk around the Hofburg Palace grounds hearing about the history of the palace, and the extraordinary story of the Habsburg dynasty who ruled here from the 1200s until 1918. We’ll go inside parts: the extraordinary National Library from the 1740s, and highlights of the Kunsthistorisches Museum: even if art galleries are not on your list, this is one of the world’s most famous. You are quite likely to recognise the Breughels - The Hunters in the Snow, The Tower of Babel - the Holbein portrait of Jane Seymour, three Rembrandt self-portraits side-by-side, and Vermeer’s Painter in his Studio.
The Secession Building c. 1900
Archduke Franz Ferdinand’s 1914 car in the Military Museum
The Michaelerkirche, by the main entrance to the Hofburg Palace
Out to the suburbs to beat the crowds for a visit of the Schönbrunn Palace - the ‘Versailles’ of the Habsburgs. Audio-tour of the inside, then exploring the grounds.
Off to the northern edge of the city to see the Danube River, then back via the Reisenrad Ferris Wheel: this was made famous by the 1949 movie The Third Man. Round off with a walk through the highlights of the Old Town.
* We organise tours DIRECT with you – we have no public list of tours.
* We handle numbers from 2 to 10 – families, small groups of friends.
* We provide personal guiding, but also organise itineraries, book hotels and site entries, and find you a minibus company if your group is larger than 4 people.
* We step onboard your car / rental car *, or a minibus that we can arrange (but you pay direct to the company, in advance). NB: we do not organise travel to/from the tour start/finish point(s) - eg flights, trains.
* You pay our guiding & organising fee, and then pay as you go for your accommodation, meals and museum entries (and, if you need one, you pay for your minibus direct, in advance).
* (happy to drive if you can add us as an Additional Driver)
All text, maps & photos © Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd.
Website design by Joseph Thomson
Last updated November 2023
Bethany, 37 The Crescent
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7AW