These are approximate PER HEAD prices in €, determined by the number of nights accommodation and the size of your group. Prices may vary slightly depending on accommodation pressures (eg large business conventions happening at the time we need accommodation in a particular city).
Prices are a guide and are PER PERSON. Note: prices are in Euros (not UK £).
Prices include: guiding, tour planning, accommodation in 3- or 4-star hotels sharing twin/double rooms with en-suite facilities (breakfast included); and all Guide’s costs.
Prices do NOT include: your car costs (rental, tolls, parking, fuel) or minibus if larger group; flights/train tickets to/from start and end points; meals other than breakfast; museum entries (thus giving flexibility depending on the weather to go to as many or as few as desired); & personal insurance (purchase of cancellation & general travel insurance strongly advised).
Per Head in Euros (guiding, tour planning, accommodation):
We take payments by Bank Transfer in Euros - we'll email you details. Note that our prices are in EUROS (not UK £). We do not take credit cards (except via PayPal; 4.5% charge for using PayPal). All monies for tours (of 24 hrs or longer) are paid into our Trustee Account in accordance with the consumer protection measures in the Package Travel Regulations 2018; monies are only released by the Trustee following completion of the trip. €200 p.p. deposit; balance 8 weeks prior to trip, as per our Booking Conditions
C. UK Package Travel & Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018
Information required by law to be made available before any contract is concluded under Schedule 3 of the Regulations:
Preamble re. Travel Regulation Insolvency Protection: Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd is a company committed to customer satisfaction and consumer financial protection. We are therefore pleased to announce that, at no extra cost to you, and in accordance with the Package Travel, Package Tours Regulations 2018 all passengers are fully insured for the initial deposit, and subsequently for the balance of monies paid. The policy will also include repatriation if required, arising from the cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd. This insurance has been arranged by Towergate Chapman Stevens through Zurich Insurance.
Claims: in the unlikely event of insolvency, you must inform Towergate Chapman Stevens immediately on +44 1932 334140 or by email at email@example.com. When you receive the email version of this text, retain it as evidence of cover and value. (This policy will not cover monies paid for Travel Insurance).
PART 1 General
The combination of travel services offered to you is a package within the meaning of the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.
Therefore you will benefit from all EU rights applying to the packages. Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd will be fully responsible for the proper performance of the package as a whole.
Additionally, as required by law, Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd protection in place to refund your payments and, where transport is included in the package, to ensure your repatriation in the event that they become insolvent.
PART 2 Key rights under the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018
• Travellers will receive all essential information about the package before concluding the package travel contract.
• There is always at least one trader who is liable for the proper performance of all the travel services included in the contract.
• Travellers are given an emergency telephone number or details of a contact point where they can get in touch with the organiser or the travel agent.
• Travellers may transfer the package to another person, on reasonable notice and possibly subject to additional costs.
• The price of the package may only be increased if specific costs rise (for instance fuel prices), and if expressly provided for in the contract, and in any event not later than 20 days before the start of the package. If the price increase exceeds 8% of the price of the package, the traveller may terminate the contract. If the organiser reserves the right to a price increase, the traveller has a right to a price reduction if there is a decrease in the relevant costs.
• Travellers may terminate the contract without paying any termination fee and get a full refund of any payments if any of the essential elements of the package, other than the price, has changed significantly. If before the start of the package the trader responsible for the package cancels the package, travellers are entitled to a refund and compensation where appropriate.
• Travellers may terminate the contract without paying any termination fee before the start of the package in the event of exceptional circumstances, for instance if there are serious security problems at the destination which are likely to affect the package.
• Additionally, travellers may at any time before the start of the package terminate the contract in return for an appropriate and justifiable termination fee.
• If, after the start of the package, significant elements of the package cannot be provided as agreed, suitable alternative arrangements will have to be offered to the traveller at no extra cost. Travellers may terminate the contract without paying any termination fee, where services are not performed in accordance with the contract and this substantially affects the performance of the package and the organiser fails to remedy the problem.
• Travellers are also entitled to a price reduction or compensation for damages or both where the travel services are not performed or are improperly performed.
• The organiser has to provide assistance if the traveller is in difficulty.
• If the organiser or the retailer becomes insolvent, payments will be refunded. If the organiser or, where applicable, the retailer becomes insolvent after the start of the package and if transport is included in the package, repatriation of the travellers is secured. Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd has taken out insolvency protection with Towergate Chapman Stevens. Travellers may contact them (+44 1932 334140 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.) if services are denied because of Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd’s insolvency.
PART 3 The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018
These can be consulted on website
“I wanted to tell you again how much my Dad and I enjoyed our time with you touring the Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge areas. Your knowledge of the area and expert delivery made for a very memorable trip for us. Particularly, your research and knowledge of the 424th Infantry Regiment, 106th Division positions and movements during the Bulge was an added bonus”
David Wilkinson (Texas), Normandy & Ardennes tour, November 2019
“Thanks for a lovely trip to Prague. As usual, you took us to a super hotel and showed us sights we’d never have discovered on our own. Many thanks for organising a great trip for us once again”
Liz Thomas (UK), family trip to Prague, October 2019
“Thank you for a truly amazing experience that was everything we hoped it would be. Your planning, presentation, organisation and knowledge is exceptional. To listen to your telling of the history leading to and the events of this historic battle of WWI was fascinating. A complicated story delivered clearly over two days along with incredible site visits. A great two days for us all”
Chris Eggleton (UK), Verdun tour, September 2019
“Peter and I would like to say a heartfelt thank you for such a great trip to Vienna. We really loved the programme and your style of guiding”
Anna & Peter Vinson (UK) on 3-day Kings Society Canterbury group visit to Vienna, October 2018
“What a fine trip. We so enjoyed your company, your content knowledge, presentation and geographical knowhow. That was perhaps the finest historical tour I have participated in over many years. The housings were wonderful as well. Thank you!”
Mark Murphy (Wisconsin, retired headteacher), World War I 5-day tour, June 2018
“We wanted you to know that our two days with you in Normandy were terrific and exceeded all our expectations. Thank you very much for an experience we will always remember. Your knowledge and expertise, combined with your friendly manner made every minute enjoyable for both of us”
Ben & Debbie Rosenbloom (Connecticut), Normandy tour May 2018
“The description on your website that you are relaxed but authoritative is spot on. Kate and I know how much effort you put in to these trips, to make them interesting for the whole group, and once again we must thank you for a great few days”
Peter & Kate Prince (UK) on 3-day Kings Society Canterbury group visit to Languedoc, April 2018
“Howard, Judy, Terry and I want to thank you so very much for the wonderful four day trip we enjoyed with you to the Battle of the Bulge and WWI areas in France, Luxembourg and Belgium. Your investigative planning work to pinpoint locations where Terry's uncle earned his Bronze Star for valor and Judy's father was taken prisoner in the Bulge areas and where Terry’s grandfathers fought in WWI, was well beyond our expectations. The vast amount of background information including helpful maps you provided made these and other places come alive. We were simply amazed at your detailed knowledge of not only both World Wars but also the geographical locations we visited. Finally, your gentle, friendly yet confident approach with us throughout our tour was greatly appreciated. You are a true pro & we are grateful to have had the privilege to tour with you.”
Jim Anderson (Missouri), Ardennes & Argonne tour May 2017
“Thank you so much for yet another fantastic tour. We loved our time in Berlin and came away feeling we were very knowledgeable about all things to do with the War and the Wall. Thank you for looking after, organising, guiding and teaching us - it was a great weekend.”
Ali Huntrods (Canterbury, UK), group organiser, Berlin weekend (15 people), May 2017
“Just wanted to say again what a fantastic trip it was. You are without question the best tour guide I have ever known. Your fund of historical (& other) knowledge is limitless, you are most accommodating and considerate of your guests, clearly highly organised - always with a plan & a back-up plan - and, best of all, you are most personable & fun to be with”
David Green (Texas), Hurtgen Forest & Ardennes tour, April 2016
“We both got so much out of your highly professional approach and commentary. It could not have been a better experience (and it was fun!). Being able to visit our relatives’ graves was a very fulfilling experience thanks to your customised approach and highly knowledgeable commentary”
Geoff & Sherry Miller (Ottawa), private Canadian WWI tour April 2016
“What a truly memorable experience… It has always been somewhat difficult for me to get my arms around the events of WWI but you truly brought it to light in a very interesting and compelling way, and certainly have an encyclopaedic knowledge of events - and a pleasant and logical way of presenting it all” Charlie Battle (Georgia USA), World War I summary tour March 2016
“Thank you for such a fabulous tour in Germany last week. I enjoyed it greatly. Congratulations on your superb organisation (which must have required a huge amount of planning), and I especially appreciate the depth and breadth of your historical knowledge and background, as well as the enthusiasm with which you communicated it. There is no substitute for going to the real places where all these events happened and you brought the whole story to life”.
Brian Harvey (Dublin) on special interest group tour to Peenemünde & Nordhausen re. German V2 history, September 2015
All text, maps & photos © Dr Thomson’s Tours Ltd.
Website design by Joseph Thomson
Last updated April 2020
Bethany, 37 The Crescent
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7AW
Dr Thomson’s Tours